If you manage water/wastewater operations, this is the PLC for you.
Programmable Logic Controllers, also known as PLCs, are small industrial computers containing modular components designed to automate customized control processes - with PLC ladder logic as one of the more common programming languages associated.
PLCs are most often used in factories and industrial plants to control motors, pumps, lights, fans, circuit breakers and other machinery. They also vary in size and form factors - with some being small enough to fit inside of a pocket, while others are large enough to require their own heavy-duty racks for mounting.
How do PLCs work?
While there are a multitude of various components of PLC systems, the majority of them fit into the following 3 main categories:
• Processor (CPU)
In simple terms, the function of a PLC is as follows:
- The CPU monitors the inputs and their statuses (e.g. Valve open, switch off).
- The CPU gathers the information from the inputs and performs logic on the inputs.
- The CPU delivers the outputs logic (ex. Turn off the motor, close the valve).
The valuable function of PLCs in water/wastewater management
One of the more popular uses of PLCs exists within water/wastewater management processes. With a wastewater PLC, managers will have an automated program available to them to make chemical and engineering decisions for their treatment system.
In water supply applications, PLCs are used to control the opening and closing of valves, helping to supply the optimal amount of water required. And aside from eliminating any human labour, PLCs in water/wastewater applications also help prevent any costly operational errors or water leakages. They also help to combat any inefficiencies that can result in less than perfect distribution, while ensuring that processes are completed in an efficient manner with little operator oversight required.
However, for the most optimal system control in such applications, managers can also install a human machine interface (HMI). A PLC HMI panel will provide a graphical overview of the system function on a high-resolution screen that makes it easy to evaluate key data related to system performance.
Phoenix Contact offers PLCs you can rely on, provided by our experts at T&T Power Group
When you choose T&T Power Group to supply your PLC for water/wastewater operations, you’ll be provided with only the best in user-friendly technology from one of the top PLC panel manufacturers - tailored to your specific needs to provide the right level of automation that you require.
One-of-a-kind benefits from Phoenix Contact PLCs include:
(1) They’re highly communicative thanks to their integrated, freely-programmable web server and large variety of interfaces and protocols (keeping data secure in the cloud).
(2) A high degree of flexibility and extendibility helps to keeps costs lower and keep efficiency higher.
(3) PLC Next is essentially an ecosystem offering programmability with the use of applications, similar to the Apple iPhone’s App Store.
(4) Typical PLCs only allow for 4-5 languages - but Phoenix Contact PLCs allow for higher-level languages including IEC 61131-3, reaching even wider audiences.
Ready to purchase your Phoenix Contact Next PLC from our team of experts?
Our T&T Power Group would be pleased to hear from you. Contact us today to get started on maximizing the efficiency of your wastewater control systems.